MUNICIPAL/AGENCY: Rural Municipal of Belfast (RMB)
SITUATION REPORT #: 2022-02
DATE: October 14, 2022
Commencement of event notified: September 26, 2022 at 16:45hr
Power Outage occurred in the Belfast/Wood Islands area, beginning September 24, 2022. High winds and rain far exceeding 100km winds for extent of 12 hours approx. The environmental conditions of power outage time approaching 72 hours.
After 72 hours of continued power outage: To provide assistance to residents without power exceeding 72 hours until return of power to majority of residents and businesses in the area.
15:00hrs Maritime Electric notified on outage.
16:02hrs Received call and discussion with Ashley RMB, Assist Admin, feedback from residents voicing concern to meet basic needs due to power outage with unknown time for restoration
16:45hrs Notified Danny Kelly EMO of concern in current status of secondary warming station not functioning due to wires down/power outage on site
17:18hrs Jill called Northumberland Ferries Limited (NFL) Andrea Bird HR, to request a use of NFL terminal as a possible warming station
Wood Islands and Area Development Corporation (WIADC) Administrator, Jill Harris (and RMB MEMP Coordinator), received phone call from NFL, Andrea Bird (902-388-4811) NFL-HR, okaying the use of RMB temporary warming station beginning September 27. Open daily, starting at 08:00hrs to 18:00hrs
To assist residents without power, with customer service for the following:
- To provide washroom facilities, shower facility, WIFI and Electricity source for cell phones;
- To provide source of drinking water/refreshments, hot lunch, sandwiches, dessert;
- To provide a temporary resting place for people, indoors;
- NFL To provide First aid assistance for travellers and residents that may have injuries preliminary care and assessment support; and
- To request and assign volunteers for time and food support, during Warming Center occupation.
Post storm: Avg. temp range 14 to 21 o C for Sept. 27 to Oct. 14
EOC in place at NFL Terminal: Facility open and occupied: September 27 to October 11 for 08:00hrs to 18:00hrs. Oct 12-14 for 08:00hrs to 16:00hrs – closed to food service only. Remaining services open to residents and travellers.
- WIADC Admin., assessing the terminal site to contain: Washrooms, café style counter (cooler, hot pot for soup, sink, water), Shower facility, electricity, exterior water source. Notified RMB CEO Bob Brooks, and Ashley of emergency assistance for community to request EOC human resource to be on site to assist beginning Sept 27.
- Established liaison with NFL Guy LeClair (NFL Hospitality Manager 902-394-0006)
- Sept. 27, 08:00hrs – Opening of the Reception Centre as residents arrive. Include on site, cutlery, hot soup, tea, coffee, snakes, soap, towels. NFL provided basic supplies to begin reception operation.
- Indoors (heated area with washrooms, charging sites, WIFI for capacity for 100 people) and outdoors, to include water access site, shower facility.
- Personal service to meet and greet residents and travellers to offer emotional support and attend to inquiries.
RCS (Reception Centre at NFL Terminal) Geoff Genge and Guy LeCalir, NFL, RMB Supervisor Bob Brooks, Ashley Feschuk, Garth Gillis, WIADC, and Jill Harris
DEPARTMENT/AGENCY/ ORGANIZATIONS INVOLVED in the event: NFL – staff; RMB Council and staff; WIADC – staff; Wood Islands Women’s Institute. EMO/Municipal Danny Jenkins; Municipal Affairs
September 26 – EOC, NFL to commence with Terminal services for residents while the terminal also used as the function for travellers to ferry services.
September 27 to October 19 – Daily verbal, phone, email update with Municipal Affairs, RMB, Maritime Electric, Transportation and Public Works, and EMO. Approx 10% gain of PEI power restoration to Island operations and homes each day. Full restoration still ongoing. Daily EOC Updates posted with CBC and EMO as well as Facebook/websites. A staff daily assessment of needs, travel and time to purchase items closest to reception center.
September 29 – Request and received from EMO, two generators on loan for the use of internet service in the area.
October 11 – Reception Centre- EOC, NFL – to reduce reception hours and cease food service.
October 19 – Conclusion of Reception Center for Municipality of Belfast and surrounding area.
At beginning of operations: 20 to 40 participants (travellers and residents) visited center per hour. As power was restored, the gradual decline of participants to five persons per day was evident at day 18, October 11. On October 14 – power restored to secondary warm center located at Wood Islands market.
RESOURCES REQUIRED TO BE ON SITE:
- One individual on site during operations to open and close as well as serve at food counter and to clean dining/seating area. This individual provided resources and updates on power restoration
- Daily review and purchase of food items required for food service
- Generator to use for power re internet services to the greater area for Belfast
~ To Northumberland Ferries Limited who provided the site, start-up and provisions in order to have the RMB MEMP to succeed in providing the basic care during power outage.
~ To the volunteers who gave their time and food in support of the operations
~ To the residents who expressed their gratitude and patience during their time of need
~ To the travellers who donated in monetary value in appreciation of reception services
~ To RMB staff and Council who provided the allowance to be creative when the power goes down
~ To EMO who listened and supported our needs
~ To Maritime Electric, we would still be in the dark without you…………
Submitted by Jill Harris, Coordinator support for the RMB MEMP
Date: October 19, 2022